Hi all, Amanda here. This week we posted some changes being made at IID on our Instagram feed. We wanted to post them here as well, along with a few other changes we've decided to make.
You may have seen a survey we ran in our story a few weeks ago asking for feedback about IID. First, we’d like to thank everyone who responded, your feedback was invaluable. Based upon those responses, we’ve decided to make the following changes at IID:
- The responders were split right down the middle between making design decisions based on resale value or their personal styles. After thinking about those responses and our offerings, we see the value in structuring the residential offerings like the commercial offerings. So, moving forward, residential palettes will be categorized as cool and warm of heavy color accent, light color accent, and neutral color accent.
- Speaking of commercial palettes, it was also 50/50 regarding the amount and variety of our residential offerings. I can tell you that this question was straight from me and one of my greatest concerns – am I designing fast enough to allow for multiple colors in each room and subsequent categories? Although a split response, I feel that it would be best for me to focus on expanding the residential designs to provide more variety. Therefore, for at least the remainder of the year, I will focus on designing residential palettes only. The commercial palettes will remain on our site, but for the time being, you won’t see any new additions.
- This change was an idea I had prior to the survey but it ties in a bit. The next round of residential designs will not include new designs for Sports Caves. Why? Well, I get the feeling that there are lots of people out there that are petrified of color (go check out our post Embrace Color Embrace Pattern). But I do hear lot of people say they like the colors of nature, natural colors. Which led me to thinking that it would be really cool to create a design collection based solely on nature. I’m working on gathering the four images of nature and the next set of residential palettes will be inspired by those images.
- Did you take a break from this post and read that blog post? Well, if not, go now, it’s a quick read. Back? Okay! Now you know about the Embrace Color Embrace Pattern movement! Want to join in but not ready to remodel? Head on over to our Etsy store and check out a bunch of merchandise I designed to promote color and pattern. Just tote bags and pouches for now but we're rolling out tee shirts and tank tops within the next week or so, with some cool weather gear to follow.
Those were the changes we announced on Instagram. Now, for the new changes, with a brief explanation beforehand; it's kind of a big change so it feel like it needs some context.
If you don't already know the backstory to IID, I came up with the idea when I was unhappy with my career. IID was my chance to do interior design my way. And I thought I was doing things my way. But a few months ago, I had a bit of an epiphany, realizing that "typical" interior design just wasn't what I wanted to do anymore, despite opening a commercial interior design firm concurrently to IID. What I had created with IID, my way, was my preferred career. The problem? While I made that realization, I didn't actually break with a lot of the typical interior design traditions that I was adhering to in the business model of IID. How can I be a proponent of change when I'm not embracing the change myself?
I started IID because I wanted to give more people access to professional interior design. One of the most obvious ways to do that is affordability. Yesterday, the light bulb went off - IID prices were based on that typical, expected interior design fees. And while they're still much more affordable than hiring an interior designer, they just don't reflect what I've tried to create with IID. So...
- IID will be implementing an across the board price decrease to align more closely to the interior design we offer.
- With the reduction in price, we will be expanding the number of each palette design offered, to five. We feel that this will still allow for a level of uniqueness that's reflective of the pricing.
- We are removing the complementary video discussions from our offerings. With a lower price, we feel it best to focus on more available palettes so we need to be sure to focus our time on design. However, we encourage you to please reach out with any questions you may have before or after purchase.
- Lastly, we will no longer be sending samples after purchase; again, we want to be sure to devote as much time to design as possible. We highly recommend obtaining samples prior to ordering for your project to verify colors, sizes, styles, etc.
I know this is a lot of change but isn't that what starting a small business is all about? I'm excited to implement these changes, and who knows, maybe more in the future. We're working on the changes now and you should see them all implemented within the next few days.
I hope that you are as excited about these changes as we are!